Not as good as this guy…
Happy New Year to you all! This post is late but you know how it is with the Holidays. I kind of wish we could find a way to spread them out a little better. The gauntlet from Thanksgiving to New Year is killer for whatever normalcy you have in your life. No wonder I feel the need to make resolutions come January 1st. My life gets completely frazzled and torn out of shape by December 31.
Here’s my goal post from the beginning of last year.
Let’s see how I did!
1. Pay off credit card debt – This has been a millstone around my neck for too long. I want it gone by the end of the year.
2. Climb Half -dome – Now is the time to start planning this.
3. Cut down on distractions – I spend too much time reading stuff. It’s all very interesting stuff but it doesn’t serve any higher purpose. It’s just another way to distract myself from my life.
I got distracted and failed to keep this goal. Though I do think I was better at being focused
4. Write a poem a week – 52 weeks, 52 poems
Um, kinda? I got through February, so eight poems and I did start the SSPP (Surreal Space Poetry Project)
5. Draw something once a week – 52 weeks, 52 doodles
6. Continue meditation – Extend meditation time from ten minutes to twenty, add evening meditation.
Meditation came to an abrupt stop with the time change in 2012 and then the move…
7. Step away from the television and computer – I have a great dog, a beautiful wife, and wonderful friends. I should spend more time with them instead of tapping keys.
I did do this!
8. Fix my knee, start running, cycle more, swim more, do some free weights – I figure with all the free time I have why not make myself better with it?
Did it! Except until the move to San Diego but one of my goal’s for this month (Jan ’13) is to find a weight gym
9. Intentionally left blank
10. Intentionally left blank
Yeah, I don’t know what that was about!
Grade: Satisfactory. Room for improvement in areas.
I’ve done goals for the last two years (2011 and 2012) and I don’t think they’ve done much for me. Either I have anxiety over them and feel like I’m not accomplishing anything or it feels like I’m being coerced into doing something by past me, future me doesn’t like that. I might do goals/resolutions for 2013. But, before I do I need to think long and hard about them as well as how to make goals that I won’t forget about or just not do.